[Setup] plone 3 with ldap support fails to build

Hermann Klocker klockerh at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 07:27:02 UTC 2010

I tried to install plone 3 (3.3.2, 3.3.3 and 3.3.4) with ldap support on SuSE
Enterprise 10 and on Windows 2003 Server platform. Neither configuration
seems to work.

1) As I understand from browsing documentations my goal should be acquired
by modifying buildout.cfg (at least) in the following way:

eggs=
   python-ldap
   plone.app.ldap

zcml=
   plone.app.ldap

> Am I missing something here? Is this correct?

2) My experiences:

* My installation on SuSE fails at buildout with "Couldn't install:
python-ldap 2.3.10"
I tried to fix this by fiddling around with my local python installation
(2.4.2, where python-ldap _is_ installed) but I gave up after some hours.

* My installation on W2k3 seems to build but fails to view with "'No
traversable adapter found ...".
This happens only after adding the last line in the zcml section, if I do
not add this the website shows fine but I can not find any LDAP traces
anywhere on my site.
I tried to install on W2k3 only because some others reported that LDAP
should work fine there.

> Is there any hint what could fix my problems?
> I am willing to use any linux distribution or any windows server platform
> if ldap support works there. Could anyone report working configurations
> (and the way to install it)?

TIA
Hermann