[Setup] Re: zeoserver tracebacks following SIGTERM: Error saving index on close() or failed to close storage

Graham Perrin G.J.Perrin at bton.ac.uk
Sun Feb 21 08:50:09 UTC 2010

Graham Perrin wrote:

> temporarily set aside the launchd approach in favour of legacy
> /Library/StartupItems/Plone

zeoserver errors at SIGTERM time are easily reproducible if I:

1. move /Library/StartupItems/Plone to /Library/StartupItems\
\(Disabled\)/Plone

2. enable the ZEO cluster-related files at /Library/LaunchDaemons

3. manually stop client2, client1 then zeoserver

4. restart the OS, allow time for the ZEO cluster to serve pages

5. restart the OS.

I suspect a bug in zeoserver-related processes responding to SIGTERM in this
environment.

Either that, or the Plone-specific scripts relating to those processes
should be modernised for Apple's recommended approach. Either way: failures
to close storage, and errors saving index, are undesirable.

Supporting notes at
<http://www.wuala.com/Zope%20&%20Plone/Plone/Nabble/4596948/>.

----

> having the whole caboodle on a separate volume

Location on that separate volume, a flash drive, is not a problem when
legacy SystemStarter commands
plonectl start
automatically at OS startup time.

(If that's not done automatically at that time, if I manually command
sudo SystemStarter -v start Plone
then there may be problems with zeoserver when the OS is restarted, but for
the moment I treat that as separate from this issue.)

<http://dev.plone.org/old/plone/browser/Installers/UnifiedInstaller/trunk/init_scripts/OS_X/README.txt?rev=21978>
<http://dev.plone.org/old/plone/browser/Installers/UnifiedInstaller/trunk/init_scripts/OS_X/Plone-Cluster/Plone?rev=25084>

Incidentally my /Library/StartupItems/Plone/Plone
is extended slightly from the norm — to handle client2, client1 and
zeoserver in order:

#!/bin/sh

##
# Plone Server -- Cluster Configuration
##

. /etc/rc.common

StartService ()
{
    echo "Starting Plone"
	/Applications/Plone/zeocluster/bin/plonectl start
}

StopService ()
{
	echo "Stopping Plone"
	/Applications/Plone/zeocluster/bin/plonectl client2 stop
	/Applications/Plone/zeocluster/bin/plonectl client1 stop
	/Applications/Plone/zeocluster/bin/plonectl zeoserver stop
}

RestartService ()
{
    echo "Restarting Plone"
	/Applications/Plone/zeocluster/bin/plonectl client2 stop
	/Applications/Plone/zeocluster/bin/plonectl client1 stop
	/Applications/Plone/zeocluster/bin/plonectl zeoserver stop
	/Applications/Plone/zeocluster/bin/plonectl start
}

RunService "$1"