[Setup] Password Protection

PaulMCLS paul.robinson at monroe.lib.mi.us
Thu Feb 18 16:54:02 UTC 2010

I'm considering installing Plone as part of our company intranet. Right now,
we use various custom databases, blogs, wikis, etc., which are all behind
htaccess configured through the apache config files.
Sorry for (possible) multiple posts... I keep getting it back saying I don't
subscribe to the list, even though I've received confirmation for
subscribing to the list. Anyhow...

I'd like to use Plone, but I'll need this functionality. I see information
on using a VirtualHost to route the requests for the plone install (at port
8080) to port 80 and use it as the default destination when you access the
server from a web browser, but I need to know if I was to redirect it to say
http://mysite.com/plone, AND I use authentication to block that from
unauthorized users, is the Plone install always still accessible at
http://mysite.com:8080?

I've been having some trouble getting this going, but I'm willing to muddle
through getting the security configured if I know that in the end it can do
what I'm looking for: Allow access to plone from a rewritten or redirected
URL and disable access through port 8080.

Hopefully that all makes sense. I'm not sure my brain is working all too
clearly this morning...