[Setup] Can't get Plone to run on port 80

Jofen jofen.kihlstrom at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 14:43:16 UTC 2010

Probably this is an easy thing for the one knowing how to...

So first of all - what is the context...
I run ubuntu 9.04
I have a clean install of apache2
I have a root, standalone install of the latest plone (unified installer)
I use dyndns to connect to my computer that acts as a server.

I have been spending hours of surfing the web, googling about how to make
Apache play with Plone and I have tested dozens of tips without success...

Via dyndns I point http://jofen.blogsite.org to my server and if I use that
adress I get the standard "It works" page in apache.

If I change the adress to http://jofen.blogsite.org:8080/Plone I can see my
plone site.

The only thing I want to do is to make apache serve the visitor with
the Plone site on the adress http://jofen.blogsite.org (because that adress
is so much easier to remember than the one with :8080/Plone in the end...

So I have a virtual host monster in the root of the plone installation

I have tried many different ways of achieving what I want
- I have tried a proxy way only using apache as proxy, but got stuck with
an 'Access denied' problem that I could not figure out. So I tried
the mod_rewrite way of solving this but it ends up with 'Internal server
error'
however I do...

So - what I want is an easy way of linking my plone site to the adress -
and I don't mind how it is done as long as it is working...

Can anyone point to some kind of step by step guide, some forum thread
that I might have missed or just give me some tips. I really like Plone but
this is what made me uninstall about a year ago - the impossible ports
problem....

I have understood that there is a way to change Zope so it works on port 80
or have I misunderstood? Is that easier?

//Jofen