[Setup] When should I add new Products in "eggs" and "zcml" sections of buildout ?

Jean-Michel FRANCOIS jeanmichel.francois at makina-corpus.com
Wed Oct 7 14:33:57 UTC 2009

Steve McMahon a écrit :
> Python packages that don't use the Zope Toolkit (aka Zope 3) don't
> need ZCML slugs. That's why MySQL-python doesn't need it.
>
> By the way, Plone 3.3 includes an autodiscovery mechanism. Once
> products add the right magic phrases in setup.py, they won't need zcml
> section entries.
>
> On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 5:54 AM, ida277 <ida277 at gmail.com
> <mailto:ida277 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     Hi,
>
>     as far as I know this isssue is connected with the namespaces.
>
>     In general all eggs should be registered in the zcml section,
>     exept for
>     those where the name also starts with "Products.", like in
>     Products.LinguaPlone.
>
>     Doesn't explain MYSQL_Python though...
>
>     Fortunately usually it's documented in the docs.
>
>     Hope that helps,
>     Regads,
>     Ida
>

>     francoise wrote:
>     >
>     > Hi all,
>     >
>     > Some products are added only on the "eggs" section
>     (Products.LinguaPlone,
>     > MySQL-Python).
>     >
>     > Others products need to be also added to the "zcml" section (my
>     developped
>     > product, and apparently theme products).
>     >
>     > What is the logic for to know when I should add a product to the
>      "zcml"
>     > section ? For themes only ?
>     >
>     > Regards
>     >

>     --

ZCML is for loading components. It is related to ZCA (zope component
architecture).

Most of the time it is documented in the README or INSTALL.txt if you
need the zcml slug in your buildout.

For some people like me it is usefull to not autoinclude zcml because I
can choose which component I want to load.

Products Namespace is special and is autoincluded. So never add zcml for
Products.XXX

Every collective.XXX eggs need to add zcml.

For other namespace you need to verify if it use ZCA or not (check if
their is configure.zcml inside the egg. for example
collective.toto.egg/collective/toto/configure.zcml)

If you don't want to include this in buildout and have a policy, you can
include other eggs by using its own configure.zcml => <include
package="collective.toto" />

--
Cordialement,
Jean-Michel FRANCOIS