[Setup] buildout UnknownExtra error

Patrick Gerken do3ccqrv at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 19 10:34:58 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 09:44, lovis <j.sorg at fz-juelich.de> wrote:
> Vitaliy Podoba-2 wrote:
>> I got the same problem while re-running my old 3.0.6 plone buildout.
>> Seems like problem is in a newly updated zope2instance recipe (4.0a1) at
>> pypi.
>>
>> Adding
>>
>> prefer-final = true
> hi vitaliy,
> thank you for your reply.
> this is a solution for my problem, too.
>
> gruss juergen

Please do yourself a favor and pin all your eggs.
You can get a list of versions with dumppickedversions. You can ensure
that your production environment has only picked versions by
setting that option I mentioned earlier.
prefer-final does not solve the root cause of your problem.
Your buildout did not break because it installed beta software by
default, your buildout broke because you do not define which version
of the software you want to use. As soon as the recipe has a stable
4.0 release, you will have the same problems as before!

dumppickedversions will only be able to create a list of good working
versions if you have a working buildout. So if you wait until
your buildouts break again, you will have a lot of work.

If you create all version pinnings, you might help others in the near
future if you post your picked versions here. There is afaik no list
of stable versions that work with plone 3.1.x

Best regards,

           Patrick