[Setup] Plone site efficient backup

W. Anderson wanderson at nac.net
Thu Nov 5 15:44:35 UTC 2009

I have a plone 3.1.4 web site running on "slightly older version" of Gentoo
Linux, using older "standard" _/Schools Plone/_ skin, and wish to move
the site to
a more adequately powerful computer, running _/updated/_ Gentoo Linux.

In the process I would prefer to update Plone to latest 3.3.1 with  the
"latest" Schools Plone 3.3.1 skin.

The online documentation for backing up and/or moving a Plone site is not
very clear and every Forum inquiry on this topic I have read gets a
_/different
response/_ as to the procedure to follow. Plus, neither of the two Plone
books
purchased recently - Practical Plone 3 and The Definitive Guide to Plone
: 2nd Ed
 - make reference to moving and/or "_simply and securely_" backing up a
site.

What is the best step forward - Updating site and skin on present computer
first, and then migrating site, or migrating site to new computer and
then updating?

Please; and what /*"simple to follow"*/ steps do I take in the above
procedures,
other than saving data.fs file?

Wendell Anderson
wanderson at kimalcorp.org