[Setup] Proposed upgrade; Plone 2.0.5 to 3.x

Ricardo Newbery ric at digitalmarbles.com
Thu Nov 5 03:13:21 UTC 2009

On Nov 4, 2009, at 5:48 PM, Phillip Abramson wrote:

> 	"Not sure what you mean by this criticism of the upgrade guide.
>
> 	Are you looking at the same document I see...
> 	http://plone.org/documentation/manual/upgrade-guide ?"
>
> One criticism would be length, whilst it's all useful information it's
> imposing when you first see it. Especially with dot points one
> should be
> very careful with their length. Long paragraphs don't get read or at
> least not properly unless you know to look there. This requires
> rereading to find potentially vital pieces of information.

I agree the length may be a bit imposing.  But I'm not sure how you
would get around that considering the long history of Plone and the
many changes since it first came out.  I suppose the document could
use some editing; I'm sure the authors would be very happy to receive
any concrete suggestions for improvements.

> 	"The Plone login form (cookie-based login) may not work in a
> 	not-yet-migrated site.  I suppose sometimes the authentication
> 	credentials from the previous install will "just work" with the
> new
> 	install but I can imagine several situations where it will not.
> You
> 	probably need to re-login using the Zope basic authentication
> 	process.  This means first figuring out the proper URL to reach
> 	the Zope root."
>
> Do you mean "localhost:8080/manage"? or "localhost:8080/
> manage_main"? or
> something like that? I did try navigating directly to them both but
> simply got redirected back.

Either "manage" or "manage_main".  If a non-authenticated request came
in for a ZMI page in the zope root rather than the plone root, you
would get a standard basic authentication request response and not the
plone login form.  The fact that you are getting the plone login form
(which then breaks) suggest that you are not actually requesting the
ZMI page in the zope root.  Perhaps an accessrule or VHM mapping is
redirecting your port 8080 requests to the Plone subdirectory.

> I managed to avoid this issue recently by instead making a new mime
> type
> in the to be migrated plone site for text\x-web-intelligent and
> exported
> and imported into the 3.3.1 version and it looks like I can export
> from
> 2.0.5 to 2.5 without a hitch. I don't know if it's really a good
> idea to
> use import export for the 5Gb of data that will be involved in the
> real
> migration. Maybe doing it in small chunks rather than the full Plone
> object in one go would solve that.

The export/import option you see in the ZMI is usually not recommended
for moving content across upgraded instances.  The items exported this
way are very context sensitive and generally require that you match
the zope environments in both setups very closely.

There are other ways to export/import content that are less context
sensitive but, as far as I know, nothing that works out-of-the-box
without some prep work.

In any case, I'm not sure why you want to do this.  Are these custom
content types?  If so, then you still need to upgrade the third-party
product that contains the content type code, which hopefully also
provides you with an upgrade path if needed.  If these are built-in
content types, then the regular Plone migration process is all you need.

Ric