[Setup] Virtual hosting setup

Holden Hao holdenhao at gmail.com
Thu May 7 08:33:52 UTC 2009

> I have apache2.2 installed on a ubuntu hardy 8.4 server.
> when i restart the apache server it gives the error :
> httpd (no pid file) not running
> and the restart fails

The script will complain that it can not stop the server if it is not
running and returns an error.  But this is okey.  The script should  be able
to start the server.

> i installed appache2 and i donno how to install or set active httpd, thats
> why i created the httpd folder, as i had none. I also entered Include
> /etc/httpd/conf/d/*.conf in apache2.conf file.

In my Debian box, Apache2 (apache2.conf) uses:

Include /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/

So put the config file in that directory (I'm guessing Ubuntu implements
Apache2 similar to Debian).  Adding another Include directive may not work
because there might be other directives that subvert it.  So best to use the
package maintainer's intended way.

Don't forget to reverse your previous configurations.

Holden