[Setup] Virtual hosting setup

danielcodrea daniel.codrea at yahoo.com
Thu May 7 07:31:55 UTC 2009

Holden Hao wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> Thank you for your prompt reply.
>> I managed to configure the nameserver to point to the subdomain i wanted.
>> Now I have it set like this: http://subdomain.xxx.com:8080/plonesite and
>> want iot to look like http://subdomain.xxx.com.
>> I followed the directions from the article in the link you mentioned, but
>> it
>> did not do it. :(
>>

> 1. You need to enable NameVirtualHost in your httpd.conf
>
> 2. Then add a file FileName.conf to /directory etc/httpd/conf.d  Look at
> each line and change appropriately to your settings.
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>  ServerName    subdomain.xxx.com
>  ServerAlias   www.subdomain.xxx.com
>  ServerAdmin   your at emailaddress.com
>  ServerSignature On
>  CustomLog     /var/log/httpd/mysubdomain-access.log combined
>  ErrorLog      /var/log/httpd/mysubdomain-error.log
>  LogLevel     warn
>
>   <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
>    RewriteEngine On
>
>    # serving icons from apache 2 server
>    RewriteRule ^/icons/ - [L]
>
>    RewriteRule ^/(.*) \
>
> http://localhost:8080/VirtualHostBase/http/%{SERVER_NAME}:80/myPloneSite/VirtualHostRoot/$1[L,P]
>
> </IfModule>
>

> </VirtualHost>
>
> Good luck.
>

> Holden

Hi,

Thanks again for the answer.
I did all that you mentioned like this:

1) In httpd.conf I entered:  NameVirtualHost *:80

2) I created a httpd folder in /etc/, inside the httpd folder, I created
another conf.d folder, containing the file support.conf.
In support.conf I entered:

<VirtualHost *:80>
 ServerName    support.coena.com
 ServerAlias   www.support.coena.com
 ServerAdmin   myemailadd
 ServerSignature On
 CustomLog     /var/log/httpd/support.coena.com-access.log combined
 ErrorLog      /var/log/httpd/support.coena.com-error.log
 LogLevel     warn

  <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
   RewriteEngine On

   # serving icons from apache 2 server
   RewriteRule ^/icons/ - [L]

   RewriteRule ^/(.*) \

http://localhost:8080/VirtualHostBase/http/%{support.coena.com}:80/coenasupport/VirtualHostRoot/$1[L,P]

</IfModule>

</VirtualHost>

but it doesn't work. Could you please have a look at what I did wrong?

Thanks again,
Daniel