[Setup] manage_updateSchema problems on migration

Marie Robichon robichon at esrf.fr
Fri Mar 27 08:20:59 UTC 2009

Hi,

what is the correct order for updating products/migrating on a Plone
2.1.4 - Plone 2.5.5 migration?

In a mail on the mailing list
(http://markmail.org/message/g3mtxr7rrih7gm4i) talking about migration
to Plone 2.1 someone says this:

1. If the site contains any AT objects:
a. Reinstall AT (plus PortalTransforms and MimetypesRegistry)
b. Run AT migration (includes schema Migration)
2. Migrate Plone
3. Migrate ATCT

However in the migration guide nothing is mentioned about the order in
which things are to be done and in fact we did the following:

1. Migration Plone
2. Recatalogue ATCT
3. Migrate ATCT versions
4. Update schemas

However if follow this order and run a batch update schema on the many
products checked as having old schemas in the archetype tool our initial
folder display settings are not kept: folders lose their default page
settings (unless they are forced as index_html) and are displayed in
summary view.

On the update schema page it says "do this at your own risk".  But is
this mandatory when doing a migration? If so, is there an order in which
this should be done in order to keep the display settings?  If this is
not mandatory what are the risks of our products not working if we don't
do it? Or is there something that we have overlooked in the migration
process.

Thanks in advance for your help

Marie