[Setup] Apache sites with Zope sites

cawb cawb at loughshore.com
Mon Mar 16 22:48:08 UTC 2009

I should probably ask this question in an Apache group, but I cannot get my
head around the following scenario based on any of the examples I have found
so far.  I want to host a mixture of sites on a single server using apache
for some and plone for others.

Let's say:
    abc.tld and xyz.tld via zope
    example.tld and simple.tld via apache

I've got apache installed and working.  I've got zope installed and working.

I create a file called zope.conf in /etc/httpd/conf.d and place the
following in it.

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www.abc.tld$
ServerName www.abc.tld
RewriteRule ^/(.*) \

http://localhost:8080/VirtualHostBase/http/%{SERVER_NAME}:80/abcplonesite/VirtualHostRoot/$1
[L,P]

This correctly maps incoming requests to my plone site.

Now, I want to mix this with

<VirtualHost example.tld:80>
ServerName www.example.tld
DocumentRoot /home/user/example
</VirtualHost>

but as soon as I do, all sites are served from apache, not zope.

I have tried wrapping the zope rewrites into individual virtual host tags
and received warnings.

I have tried wrapping all the zope rewrites into <VirtualHost _default_:80>

There is something missing in my approach.  Can anyone point the way?  The
documentation on the site offers solutions for part of a domain via apache
or part via zope, but they stop short of this scenario, which may be too
trivial/obvious/apache to mention.

Thanks in advance