[Setup] Varnish cache does not appear to speed up page delivery

Ricardo Newbery ric at digitalmarbles.com
Wed Mar 4 12:52:20 UTC 2009

On Mar 4, 2009, at 4:47 AM, JimL wrote:
> The page I'm testing is http://webstar.eng.ox.ac.uk:8080/IBME/IBME
> (apologies, whilst Varnish is running on port 8000, due to our
> external
> firewall, the only address I can give that you can see is the 8080
> address.
> Still, at least you can see the page in question!)
>
> Looking at the CacheFu settings, I may be in error with my setup.
> Under
> Proxy Cache Purge Configuration I have it set to "purge with custom
> URLs
> (squid/varnish behind apache, custom virtual hosting)" where
> "Simple purge:
> squid/varnish in front" would more accurately match my current setup.
>
> I'll check other settings and retry.

The Purge settings aren't important for this question.  They only
affect the purge behavior, not the cache behavior.

Personally, I would examine response headers first before diving into
varnish stats and logs.  Both CacheFu and Varnish will add headers to
the response telling you what it's doing, whether it's getting the
content from cache or whether it's pulling it from the backend.  This
is usually all you need to know to diagnose 95% of cache issues.

In this case, it shows you that the page is matching the plone-content-
types rule so it's not going to cache, again by design (see previous
email)

Ric