[Setup] Varnish cache does not appear to speed up page delivery

JimL jim.leek at eng.ox.ac.uk
Wed Mar 4 12:47:53 UTC 2009

Hi Ric,

Ricardo Newbery-2 wrote:

> What page are you testing?  And which rule in CacheSetup is it
> supposed to match?

The page I'm testing is http://webstar.eng.ox.ac.uk:8080/IBME/IBME
(apologies, whilst Varnish is running on port 8000, due to our external
firewall, the only address I can give that you can see is the 8080 address.
Still, at least you can see the page in question!)

Looking at the CacheFu settings, I may be in error with my setup. Under
Proxy Cache Purge Configuration I have it set to "purge with custom URLs
(squid/varnish behind apache, custom virtual hosting)" where  "Simple purge:
squid/varnish in front" would more accurately match my current setup.

I'll check other settings and retry.

Cheers,  Jim