[Setup] Varnish cache does not appear to speed up page delivery

Ricardo Newbery ric at digitalmarbles.com
Wed Mar 4 12:35:20 UTC 2009

On Mar 4, 2009, at 3:56 AM, JimL wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've installed Plone on a test machine (2.53GHz Intel Pentium 4, 1GB
> RAM -
> running CentOS 5.2) and have done some rough benchmarking with Apache
> Benchmark:
>
> With CacheFu set up my site is performing very well: 32 requests per
> second.
>
> After installing Varnish via
> http://plone.org/documentation/tutorial/buildout/a-deployment-configuration
> the standard buildout method  the corresponding results for pages
> delivered
> via Varnish are: 30 requests per second.
>
> I have set Varnish to round-robin the two backends created by a
> default
> Plone install (ports 8080 and 8081).
>
> Am I expecting Varnish to work too fast? Should I consider dropping
> Varnish
> completely and just using something like pound to sit in front of my
> two
> backends?
>
> Cheers,  Jim

Sorry, not enough information here.

What page are you testing?  And which rule in CacheSetup is it
supposed to match?

Note that, by design, cachefu's default cache policy will not cache
personalized views in varnish, even when technically non-personalized
as anonymous.  This is the case for both the 'plone-content-types' and
'plone-containers' cache rules.  If you want these views to be cached
in varnish you will need to customize cachefu a bit.  But be careful...

To cache just the anonymous view,
http://n2.nabble.com/Do-NOT-cache-anonymous-split-views-in-squid-varnish-without-reading-this-first.-td2122122ef293352.html

To cache both anonymous and authenticated views, you need to customize
the templates to de-personalize the views, perhaps by refactoring out
the personalized bits into ajax calls or onto a separate non-cached
template.

Ric