[Setup] Varnish cache does not appear to speed up page delivery

JimL jim.leek at eng.ox.ac.uk
Wed Mar 4 11:56:44 UTC 2009

Hi,

I've installed Plone on a test machine (2.53GHz Intel Pentium 4, 1GB RAM -
running CentOS 5.2) and have done some rough benchmarking with Apache
Benchmark:

With CacheFu set up my site is performing very well: 32 requests per second.

After installing Varnish via
http://plone.org/documentation/tutorial/buildout/a-deployment-configuration
the standard buildout method  the corresponding results for pages delivered
via Varnish are: 30 requests per second.

I have set Varnish to round-robin the two backends created by a default
Plone install (ports 8080 and 8081).

Am I expecting Varnish to work too fast? Should I consider dropping Varnish
completely and just using something like pound to sit in front of my two
backends?

Cheers,  Jim