[Setup] Document Control - Setting up permissions/access

tfisher tfisher at salemtools.com
Thu Jul 2 13:12:58 UTC 2009

I am testing Plone with the intent to use it for document control.  I'm
having a bit of trouble wading through the various (and sometimes
incomplete) instructions on how to implement what I'm trying to do.  I'm
hoping that someone here could help me out.  Here's what I'm trying to do:

1 - Have the contents of the entire site ONLY viewable if logged in.  No
anonymous access.

2 - Have a top level folder called "Work Instructions".  Within that folder
would, for instance, be 3 subfolders: Dept A, Dept B, Dept C.

3 - Have an individual Group setup that can access each subfolder.  For
instance, Group A can access ONLY Dept A subfolder, Group B accesses only
Dept B subfolder, etc.

4 - Allow individuals on a case-by-case basis who may not be a member of a
given group to have access to one or specific pages with the subfolder.  For
instance, Mary, who is a member of Group B, needs to have access to
Instruction 1 which resides in the Dept A subfolder.  She would not have
access to anything else in the Dept A subfolder.

5 - Allow any page that is under revision to be held in an unpublished state
where it not visible to the general logged in user.  It would only be
available to a select group who would be responsible for
creating/reviewing/approving the document.  Once published, it would be
available to all users who have the appropriate access.

I realize these may be elementary questions, but I've not been able to find
documentation that accurately guides me through it.  It seems to come in
bits and pieces and isn't always relevant to the most recent version of
Plone.  For instance, I can't find much about the new roles.

I've also been working with my locally installed instance of Plone but
haven't been able so far to accomplish what I'm wanting.

Any help or direction you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Specs of my Plone version:
    * Plone 3.2.2
    * CMF 2.1.2
    * Zope (Zope 2.10.7-final, python 2.4.4, win32)
    * Python 2.4.4 (#71, Oct 18 2006, 08:34:43) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)]
    * PIL 1.1.6