[Setup] What sort of hardware specs are people running?

JimL jim.leek at eng.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jan 23 16:47:01 UTC 2009

Hi Steve,

we seem to be experiencing speed issues on our quad core Sunfire T2000 box.
Doing a lot of reading I've come across lots of mention of Python problems
with the Global Interpreter Lock, especially when coupled with the way
Solaris handles multi-threading : e.g.
http://www.zope.org/Members/glpb/solaris

Despite setting up Zeo, with 4 clients (one per core), we are still finding
Plone extremely slow.

I've load balanced with Pound and then cached with Squid, and after caching,
page speed isn't too bad (e.g. http://www.ibme.ox.ac.uk), but on a restart
of Plone, it can take over 30 seconds before a page is displayed.

Also connecting directly to port 8080 (for the first of our 4 clients) Plone
seems to crawl.

Hence I'm wondering if Linux is going to show an improvement.

Cheers,  Jim