[Setup] how to Setup on a Free WebHost

Ricardo Newbery ric at digitalmarbles.com
Sun Jan 18 23:21:18 UTC 2009

On Jan 18, 2009, at 2:49 PM, geek3 wrote:

> Alexander Limi wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 20:33:41 -0800, geek3
>> <geek181 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> my sites are hosted with http://zendfree.com/  ZendFree  which has
>>> Cgi
>>> but
>>> no python is there any way to install it on my server. I don't
>>> want to
>>> switch hosts cause of all the free hosts the one has the most
>>> speed and
>>> uptime.
>>
>> If they don't have Python, you can't set up Plone on that host.
>>
>> --
>> Alexander Limi · http://limi.net

> I was told that you could convert python to run strictly as CGI.
>
> also is there any Good free host that it will work with?

CGI is not a computer language, it's a sort of a protocol for
interfacing software with a web server like apache.  Your server would
still need to support the language to run the software.  But in any
case, long-running processes like Plone/Zope do not typically use CGI
(although some use FastCGI).

This doesn't necessarily mean you're out of luck.

If your account offers shell access and if your account has enough
resources, you should theoretically be able to install everything you
need, including Python, using one of the "unified installers".
Another thing you need is access to the web server config, or the
ability to use .htaccess files, to add RewriteRules to redirect
requests going to port 80 to your Plone port (often at port 8080).

Having shell access, enough resources, and the ability to properly
proxy requests from the webserver may be too much to expect from a
free host service, but who knows.

Ric