[Setup] Amending pool-size

Finlay Boo chris.brogan at begbies-traynor.com
Fri Jan 16 09:40:47 UTC 2009

Thanks for responding Alexander.

I had been thinking that the additional threads would (which would have need
the increase in pool size) would give my users improved page rendering speed
as more of them woud be able to connect at one time. It stemmed from
increasing my thread size from 4 to 6 and perceiving that pages were quicker
to load. Decreasing the threads from 4 to 2 seemed to increase the page
size.

However, having increased the threads and pool size (by editing the
zone.conf files I have in my 2 instances) I began to wonder whether what I
had done had any effect at all. In fact, at the same time I had increased
the objects cache size from the 5000 default to 40000 and I felt that this
was having the positive effect so I went back to the default pool size and
back down to 6 threads. In fact by looking at the cache parameters tab in
ZMI I can see that each of these threads creates it's own cache so the
effects of my work would probably take longer to reap any kind of benefit as
the caches would take longer to 'warm up'. Having said that I can at least
see that more object are being served from my cache than previous.

In view of what you've said, I'm thinking that my next step should be to go
back to the default 4 threads but initiate a third zope instance on my OSX
server and let that handle the processes. I'm in the fortunate position of
having a lot of RAM (around 9GB still available) so I'm obviously looking to
use this as much as possible although I'm still getting to grips with
achieving a well balanced caching strategy using CacheFu but I'll hopefully
get there!