[Setup] Trouble installing Plone 3.1.7 for Windows

Alberto Lopes alberto at alopes.com
Mon Jan 12 18:23:04 UTC 2009

Dear weheh,

I have no idea on why that is happening in your system (any ideas from other
people are welcome!).

But I can share with you my procedure for installing Plone from a Zope
install. Note: I am note saying that this is the solution for your problem,
this is just a procedure I used and it worked in a Windows system with
"global" Python environment (and my recipe made Plone use the dedicated
Python environment).

1 - Download and install Zope 2.11.1 from
http://www.zope.org/Products/Zope/swpackage_releases as 2.11.1 is the latest
binary installer for Windows. (I assume you installed it in the default
D:\Zope\2.11.1, which means there would be a D:\Zope\2.11.1\Zope and a
D:\Zope\2.11.1\Python folders)

2 - Using cmd, issue the command "D:\Zope\2.11.1\Python\Scripts\easy_install
--prefix D:\Zope\2.11.1\Python ZopeSkel"

This easy_installs ZopeSkel in the dedicated Python environment.

3 - Using cmd, issue the command "D:\Zope\2.11.1\Python\Scripts\paster
create -t plone3_buildout D:\Zope\2.11.1\Plone3"

3.1 - When paster asks "Enter zope2_install", you enter
"D:\Zope\2.11.1\Zope" (no quotes)

3.2 - When paster asks for plone_products_install and zope_user, accept the
defaults.

3.3 - Choose a zope_password for the superuser.

3.4 - Accept all other defaults for paster.

4 - When you get back to the prompt, cd to the D:\Zope\2.11.1\Plone3 folder

5 - Now, with the current directory being D:\Zope\2.11.1\Plone3, issue the
command:"D:\Zope\2.11.1\Python\python.exe bootstrap.py". This will ensure
that everything buildout does is related to the dedicated Python
interpreter.

6 - Finally, from the same directory, do a "bin\buildout" to build out the
Plone installation.

It will install Plone and make it use dedicated (D:\Zope\2.11.1\Python)
Python interpreter.

If you want to install a windows service for that Plone install, you can run
the bin\instance program with the install command.

(This install procedure was based on the one in Martin Aspelli's book -
Professional Plone Development).

Let me know if it worked for you.

Best regards,

Alberto