[Setup] opensolaris install virtual/bare-metal diary

Dale DeWitt dewittdale at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 02:10:00 UTC 2009

I had no problem using the standard 3.1.7 unified installer on an
opensolaris/virtualbox/windows.  But when using the same unified
installer on opensolaris/bare-metal . . . and a newly downloaded
unified installer, the scripts complained of gcc missing which wasn't
the case (identical package manager listings).  So the problem wasn't
with the installer.

I decided to copy the virtual plone instance over the network.  Done.
Then the daemon would kick off after saying it had started.
Disparate, I decided to force the unified installer on this copied
Plone-3.1 Standalone.  It got a few necessary steps in and then
logically aborted the installation.  That removed the auto stop cited
previous.

Voila, an opensolaris bare-metal installation by hook'n crook.
Anybody have a more formal logic why bare-metal and the unified
installer failed?   I'm hoping this terse diary isn't too vauge.