[Setup] Using buildout on Windows XP - bin\instance failing

squibobblepants tom at tomblockley.co.uk
Mon Feb 23 12:29:09 UTC 2009

I followed this tutorial:
http://plone.org/documentation/how-to/using-buildout-on-windows

Everything seemed to be going fine, I have the appropriate version of Python
installed (2.4.4) and MinGW, Subversion and Plone all seemed to
install/checkout fine.

When I reach the bottom of the tutorial, it tells me to enter the following
to start an instance:

> bin\instance fg

I get the same error that this chap had:
http://n2.nabble.com/Using-Buildout-for-Windows---Errors-td2198056ef293353.html#a2218004
http://n2.nabble.com/Using-Buildout-for-Windows---Errors-td2198056ef293353.html#a2218004

But his solution, to add an equals sign:

> bin\instance=fg

Also fails, with the same error as this chap:
http://n2.nabble.com/Problem-installing-Plone-td2361166ef293353.html#a2362127
http://n2.nabble.com/Problem-installing-Plone-td2361166ef293353.html#a2362127

In fact, I get the same error, ending with

> if sys.platform[:3] == "win" and args[0] == 'localhost':
> IndexError: tuple index out of range

When I try to install it as a service with bin\instance=install, and
bin\instance start, and also if I call bin\instance with no argument.

Can anybody shed some light on this for me?

Kind Regards,
Tom Blockley