[Setup] opensolaris install virtual/bare-metal diary

Christopher Warner Christopher.Warner at nymag.com
Thu Feb 12 18:54:33 UTC 2009

GCC just needs to be installed but works fine for me the only problem is the
zlib/readline/jpeg stuff which I haven't really nailed down.

Basically libz=local, libjpeg=local or readline=local has no affect. They
run their checks and are skipped if you do them all together. If you do just
libz=local it'll work.

Barring that some quick instructions:

Installing Plone 3.x on Opensolaris

Why? What's wrong with Linux, Freebsd etc?

Nothing, Opensolaris just provides ZFS and as far as filesystems go it's
actually pretty great at making sure your data is consistent. So having your
ZODB and content data on an Opensolaris store can't hurt if you are starting
a new project.

1. First install GCC; System/Administration/Package Manager and search for
gcc. Select and install, this will take a couple of minutes depending on the
machine you are working with.

2. Depending on where you want to install Opensolaris and your permissions
on the system you will do ./install.sh standalone or ./install.sh
zeocluster. If you don't know the difference here is a good related overview
here
http://blog.redinnovation.com/2008/07/07/zope-zeo-setupconversion-and-zeo-vs-standalone-performance-review/

Read the instructions under INSTALLATION COMPLETE
Once all is well start Plone /wherever/plone/is/installed

Thanks,
Christopher Warner