[Setup] Two questions about installing 3.2.1 with UnifiedInstaller in Linux

Steve McMahon steve at dcn.org
Wed Feb 11 23:12:10 UTC 2009

> Since I have no plans on using Chinese, can I ignore that message?

Yes.

> Also, I am curious: why did older UnifiedInstallers installed Plone in
> /opt/Plone and now it goes into /usr/local/Plone?

When Kamal Gill created the first Unified Installer, he wanted to
follow as closely as possible the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard> which
specified /opt for optional application software packages. However,
it's since become clear that this is not the consistent practice in
the Linux/BSD world. Many platforms, in fact, ship with no /opt
filesystem at all, and this was a source of continual confusion. Since
we want the installers to be practical tools, we changed to what
nearly always works: /usr/local. (Filesystem conventions have always
been a source of religious wars; many contend that even in the FHS,
/usr/local was the right place for locally installed multi-user
programs and data.)

If you want to duplicate the old behavior, just add
"--target=/opt/Plone" to your UI command line.