[Setup] integration of one isntance with multiple sites

Sergey V. sergey.volobuev at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 21:14:33 UTC 2009

Sergey V. wrote:

> ...That would be a simple solution
>
> - Sites (Folder)
>  -- portal_catalog
>  -- plone_site_1
>  -- plone_site_2
>  -- ...

Well, after some testing I can tell you that you can do it even simpler:
create a Plone site and then create a few subsites inside. Then delete
portal_catalog in each of the subsites.

Subsites appear to work properly without portal_catalog. I even installed
different skins. The search, however, doesn't work across sites - I suppose
Plone restricts search results to a specific path. BUT you can observe items
being added to the 'global' catalog when you add documents to one of the
subsites.

So I think it's a matter of modifying search logic to not restrict search
results to a subsite (or somehow calling it in a context of the parent
site... just a quick idea: if you acquire the search form from the parent
site, it'll return all results.

Something like this:

- global (Plone Site)
 -- local_1 (Plone Site without portal_catalog)
 -- local_2 (Plone Site without portal_catalog)

Now if you go to http://www.local1.com/search you'll get results from
local_1 only. But if you go to http://www.local1.com/global/search, you
should get results from local_1 and local_2

Now I'm wondering what can be done to make /global/search use skin from one
or another local site depending where it is called from... Have any ideas? I
bet removing portal_skins, portal_css and portal_javascripts from global
might do the trick :)))