[Setup] Upgrading to 3.2 in production environment

Finlay Boo chris.brogan at begbies-traynor.com
Sat Feb 7 18:12:21 UTC 2009

In the past I've handled my Plone upgrades using the zipped releases,
updating what need to be updated over FTP, restarting zope and then updating
to the latest version via the ZMI. My site using several custom 'old-style'
products none of which are eggified. (I have installed a couple of products
using easy_install though).

I have one zeo server which serves 4 zeo clients on OSX server.

The installer/ buildout only releases is a bit daunting and I'm worried that
I'll end up getting left behind on this and future Plone releases. Is it
likely I'll need to completely redeploy, configure my site and my custom
products? If that's what I need to do then fine but it seems like a lengthy
learning curve lies ahead.

Is any documentation planned on moving such installations over to buildout
rather than fresh installs?

Thanks