[Setup] Replacing Data.fs and Products during Upgrade

jdalley jeffdalley at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 19:46:25 UTC 2009

I have a production site running on 3.1.5.1, I'm trying to upgrade it to
3.2.x then to 3.3.x.

On a second machine for testing purposes, I downloaded 3.2.3, installed it
via the Windows installer. I copied the Products and the Data.fs (Containing
3 sites) over to the new 3.2.3 install in the new directory location of
var\filestorage.

When I start Plone up and go to the ZMI it appears after a bit, but then
something is strange... I go to portal_migrate one of the sites, and it says
its up to date at 3.1.5... It also says the Plone Filesystem is 3.1.5.. so I
cannot migrate it to what I thought I just installed (3.2.3).

I figure I'll try creating a brand new site, when it finally completes
(takes a lot longer than usual), I open it up and it says its running on
Plone 3.1.5 as well! Then I attempted to simply remove all the products I
copied over (both uninstall and remove them from the products directory), to
see if that changes anything, but low and behold... then the sites don't
work of course! so no testing there, migration is still not possible.

I may have missed a crucial step in this upgrade and migrate process... but
for the life of me I can't get anything to work properly.

Note: I've never used buildout, I have the unfortunate thrill of working
purely on Windows and thats what I've been using all along.