[Setup] Q> How to organize several plones ?

NorbertK Norbert.Klamann at projecthome.de
Wed Aug 5 10:08:41 UTC 2009

Hello all,
I plan to host several plone sites for customers, all of them a little
different, with different products and theming.

The Box is a linux box with several virtual maschines. I wonder about the
best way to organize these several Plone Sites during development, staging
and production.

I assume a version control system for buildouts and own filesystem-based
products.

I see the follwing options:
A) 1 Machine - 1 Zope - 1 Plone, either installed as root or as user

B) 1 machine - several Zopes, each with 1 Plone, installed as user

C) 1 machine - x Zopes, each with several Plones.

My thoughts about the alternatives follow and I appreciate any feedback.

Option A seems pretty expensive in terms of ressources but gives a good
isolation betweeen the instances. Under this aspect it is easy to manage.
All updates of the lower parts of the software stack (e.g. Zope) must be
done several times. Seems good for production but a lot of hassle for
development if one tries to evaluate ideas.

Option B is easier when Zope is not installed as root, less plumbing
required on the OS level than in option A, same good isolation between the
instances as in A, same overhead when doing Zope updates.

Option C brings no isolation between the plone instances wrt different
product versions. Seems not advisable to me.

So the conclusion is : Option A for production, Option B for development and
staging.

Thoughts, ideas ?

How do you guys handle this, especially when you try new ideas ?

Thanks for your time

Norbert