[Setup] Plone 3 & plone.app.ldap

Noisy1 cguers at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 3 02:42:28 UTC 2009

Oh boy! Here we go again!!

I was trying this out on a virtual machine on my Mac and somehow my VM got mangled  and I had to start all over. I was actually Ok with doing this thinking I would be able to figure out a repeatable process.

What I did was install a fresh copy of ubuntu 8.10 server. I then followed my own sequence above (add first the openldap and python-ldap sections, no plone.app.ldap references, and ran buildout), but I am stuck in exactly the same spot... bildout complaining that
Error: Couldn't find a distribution for 'python-ldap>=2.0.6'.However, I have the following in my buildout.cfg:
[python-ldap]
recipe = zc.recipe.egg:custom
url = http://kent.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/python-ldap/python-ldap-2.3.6.tar.gz
egg = python-ldap
include-dirs  =
    ${openldap:location}/include
library-dirs  =
    ${openldap:location}/lib

[openldap]
recipe = zc.recipe.cmmi
url = ftp://ftp.openldap.org/pub/OpenLDAP/openldap-stable/openldap-stable-20080813.tgz
extra_options = --with-sasl --with-tls --enable-slapd=no

and I actually have already installed the binary packages (via ubuntu's apt-get install) for openldap and python-ldap. In this paste  you can see the versions of both: python-ldap is 2.3.4. In this other paste  I have a copy of my current bildout.cfg.

So:
1) It seems buildout is not looking for the packages I have installed on my OS before trying to build them (otherwise, why is it complaining about the python-ldap version?), and
2) Even if it was unable to see and/or make use of the binary packages I have on my OS, the link I am referencing in the python-ldap section is for version 2.3.6 (!!)... so it is not using this either.

This takes me to believe:
1) There is somewhere else that buildout is looking for python-ldap... but where? I cannot figure it out.
2) There must be a way to tell buildout to use the python-ldap installed on my system... but how?