[Setup] Load balancing with ZEO behind Apache on a Win 2.3k server

Laurence Rowe l at lrowe.co.uk
Tue Sep 30 22:49:10 UTC 2008

I don't know why turning off HT helped, but it seemed to in that case. You
mileage may vary.

Your right on the sticky session stuff, I looked a bit more deeply so am now
using the following. Remember to a2enmod headers.

    RewriteRule ^/(.*) \

balancer://zopes/VirtualHostBase/http/%{SERVER_NAME}:80/plonesite/VirtualHostRoot/$1
[L,P]

    ProxyPreserveHost On
    Header add Set-Cookie "balancer_zopes=route.%{BALANCER_WORKER_ROUTE}e;
path=/;" env=BALANCER_ROUTE_CHANGED
    <Proxy balancer://zopes>
            BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:8081 route=instance1 max=1
            BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:8082 route=instance2 max=1
            BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:8083 route=instance3 max=1
            BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:8084 route=instance4 max=1
            ProxySet stickysession=balancer_zopes
    </Proxy>

An issue with this is that the cookies seem to stop varnish caching anything
at all, at least with the config generated by plone.recipe.varnish 1.0rc6

Laurence