[Setup] Load balancing with ZEO behind Apache on a Win 2.3k server

Alberto Lopes alberto at alopes.com
Mon Sep 29 18:36:04 UTC 2008

Dear fellas,

I'm implementing the ZEO clustering solution in order to see if it gives me
a better performance for my Plone site.

I am running Plone on a Windows 2003 server, with two HT processors (giving
me 4 "virtual" processors). I started with a standalone Plone installation,
installed from the non-buildout-based Windows installer, correctly
configured to run behind Apache (Apache does https authentication, and uses
mod_rewrite and mod_proxy to rewrite the URLs to work with
VirtualHostMonster).

So, my idea was to create an environment with four ZEO clients and one ZEO
server.

I followed the  http://plone.org/documentation/how-to/install-zeo-on-windows
Install ZEO on Windows  how-to to convert my standalone Plone into a
ZEO-client and ZEO-server install. Afterwards, I created three more Zope
instances, and configured them to work as ZEO-clients.

Finally, I used mod_proxy_balance in Apache to configure a load balancer
cluster pointing to the four of them ZEO-clients.

It is working alright, but point is that I haven't seen much improvement on
performance. Is that solution (ZEOing the standalone Zope in a
multi-processor server) adequate for me? Should I expect performance
improvements?

Also, I couldn't find any way to allocate the ZEO-client instances to
different processors. Does anyone know how to do that in Windows? I tried to
"set affinity" on the "python.exe" and "pythonservice.exe" processes at the
Windows task manager, but I got a "Access Denied" message, even being the
server Administrator!

Can someone give my any lead on where to go from here?

Regards,

Alberto