[Setup] Can't access Zope/Plone on VPS - buildout.cfg problem?

dscher davidalanscher at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 13:31:26 UTC 2008

Something else I just noticed thanks to a friendly email was that when I go
to the address it's actually not non-existent and so Firefox gives me this
kindly error message:

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.mydomain.com:8080.

Though the site seems valid, the browser was unable to establish a
connection.

    * Could the site be temporarily unavailable? Try again later.
    * Are you unable to browse other sites?  Check the computer's network
connection.
    * Is your computer or network protected by a firewall or proxy?
Incorrect settings can interfere with Web browsing

dscher wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.  It was actually defaulted at that: "127.0.0.1:8100"
> but I removed the 127.0.0.1 address as I saw in a tutorial at creating the
> buildouts that an author had only a port number listed.  It didn't work
> with 127.0.0.1:8100 either.
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> Thanks again.
>

> alan runyan-2 wrote:
>>
>> for zeo the address should be 127.0.0.1:port
>> you only want it listening to localhost interface
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 7:09 PM, dscher <davidalanscher at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi, I installed a zeocluster buildout as root from the Plone 3.1.6
>>> Unified
>>> installer on a Cent OS server.  The whole install process seems to have
>>> gone
>>> fine and I can start and stop the process in my zecluster/bin/ folders
>>> with
>>> the commands with no problem.  It took me a day to realize that my
>>> hosting
>>> probably had an external firewall outside my VPS which they confirmed
>>> and I
>>> tried to edit the buildout.cfg to suit my needs with a listed port but
>>> I'm
>>> not sure I'm doing it right.  Can someone please have a look at the
>>> excerpt
>>> of the buildout.cfg I am posting below and tell me if there's something
>>> obvious I'm missing.  Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> Just to clarify:  I can't even get to the http://mydomain:8080/manage or
>>> /plone pages. Just comes up with nothing.  Also, the port options I'm
>>> using
>>> is 1099.
>>>
>>> Cheers!
>>>
>>> ------------------
>>> [zeoserver]
>>> recipe = plone.recipe.zope2zeoserver
>>> zope2-location = ${zope2:location}
>>> zeo-address = 8100
>>> effective-user = plone
>>>

>>> [client1]
>>> recipe = plone.recipe.zope2instance
>>> zope2-location = ${zope2:location}
>>> zeo-client = true
>>> zeo-address = ${zeoserver:zeo-address}
>>> # The line below sets only the initial password. It will not change an
>>> # existing password.
>>> user = admin:z1ubnufY
>>> http-address = 1099