[Setup] OpenID and existing accounts

Graham Perrin G.J.Perrin at bton.ac.uk
Wed Oct 29 02:45:16 UTC 2008

Lidiaemma wrote:

> Hello, I setup Plone 3.0 with enabled the openID login, besides the
> traditional username&password one.
>
> I can login with my openId account, but then the navigation is similar as
> I was a guest, because I do not conver any role and my openid login is not
> "linked" to any existing account.
>
> Is there anything I misunderstood in openid functionalies or is there
> anything wrong in Plone environment ? What would happen, in a correct
> configuration, after an openID login?

Hi Lidia

The behaviour that you see is normal for current Plone installations.

You may be interested in an add-on product for Plone,
iw.memberreplace <http://plone.org/products/iw-memberreplace>

The warning concerning alphaware is balanced by an observation at
<http://n2.nabble.com/change-ownership-of-content-%28from-OpenID-to-LDAP%29-tp327623p1117703.html>,

> it has been used successfully on a big Plone site (11000 + items, 40
> contributors).

Looking ahead, two feature requests:

<http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/8494> (new)

<http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/7303> (assigned)

> OpenID and delegation support seems incomplete

<https://dev.plone.org/plone/query?status=new&status=assigned&status=reopened&component=OpenID+support&order=priority>
presents a list of OpenID-related tickets.

Regards

Graham Perrin, Project/Media Development Officer
CENTRIM - the Centre for Research in Innovation Management
<http://www.brighton.ac.uk/centrim/graham>
+44-1273-877922