[Setup] How do I add users to a group on registration

janbth jan.b.thomassen at sintef.no
Tue Oct 14 11:55:59 UTC 2008

Hi,

I posted this on 'plone-users at lists.sourceforge.net' ("General Questions") a
few hours ago, but it just occurred to me that this is the proper forum.
Sorry... :-)

I want to set up my Plone instance (Plone 2.5.2) so that when new users join
the site (with the 'Join' link) they are automatically added to a group
called 'Joined'. How can I do that?

I tried to customize the 'register' script from plone_skins/plone_login, but
that didn't work. What I did was I added

group = context.portal_groups.getGroupById('Joined')
group.addMember(username)

and set the Proxy setting to 'Manager'. When I try to "join" a new user, I
get a login page with a "Please log in" message.

Is there something I am doing wrong? Or are there other ways to add new
users to groups by default?

Regards,
Jan