[Setup] Installing in Windows as a non-admin

Alberto Lopes alberto at alopes.com
Wed Oct 8 19:44:44 UTC 2008

Dear fellas,

First of all, I'd like to congratulate Wichert and all others that may have
worked with him to put up a buildout-based Plone installer for Windows. I am
not an expert in Zope and/or Python yet, but for guys like me buildout
really eases the pains in trying out new products, configurations, etc. And
from what I've read, it helps for developers.

I have only one question: when I used the Unified Installer in Linux, it
allowed me to install Plone as root or as a regular user. All of the
installation would be self-contained in a folder (suggested to be
/opt/Plone-3.1), including a dedicated Python interpreter. The server would
be started in a /etc/init.d script.

In the old Windows installer, although Plone is nicely contained in its own
folder, alongside with Python, setuptools and all, it needed me to be a
local administrator, in order to install the windows service I guess.

Is there a way I can install the buildout installer or the old one without
being the admin? I would like just to setup a test environment, but I don't
need the service - I plan to start Zope manually.

By the way, that would be a nice version for a future release: a "zipped"
installation without installer, you just put it in a location, unzip it, and
work with it from the command line.

Regards,

Alberto