[Setup] new production server - buildout or source?

ikcarr ikcarr at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 15:08:24 UTC 2008

I'm setting up a new production server and I'm not quite sure if I should go
the source path or use buildout.  I've been using zope/plone for a few years
and have always built from source and dropped all my addons into the product
folder of the instance. I'm very comfortable with this method but sounds
like I should be moving to buildout. I have very little buildout experience
but have a couple of test instances on my server at home and it seems to
work ok.  I'm just not real clear or sure how to move the buildout to
production.  I've read a number of howto documents and posts in the forums
but still need a little advice.  Seems like most of the things I've read
tell you how to get a server running via buildout but not how to move to
production etc...  Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks