[Setup] Which installer for Plone

Alberto Lopes alberto at alopes.com
Wed Nov 19 18:14:59 UTC 2008

Françoise,

I second the opinions on going to the buildout options. I am running a Plone
site in an Ubuntu server, always used the Unified Installer, and it never
caused me problems. It's been about six months since I started using it on
that setup.

I speak as a relatively novice, from day one I could experiment a lot with
my site, the upgrades always work, and I've never had any problems of broken
egg repository connections.

On the other side, I've been using a non-buildout (Windows) Plone in another
context, and it is such a chore to upgrade, either Plone or products, a lot
of version management done manually.

I think one of the best conceptual qualities of using buildout would be for
that. Suppose they find a security flaw in one product or in Plone itself;
the upgrade response time would be a lot faster (just re-run buildout) - I
guess the package approach would represent a lot of product version hunting,
etc.

As for the dedicated Python install, I don't have a clear idea on that,
whether it is better or not, but I kind of like to keep it that way. I can
manage/install Python packages, libraries or modules that would not
interfere with anything else on the server. But then again, Plone is the
only Python app I use.

Regards,

Alberto