[Setup] Which installer for Plone

Steve McMahon steve at dcn.org
Wed Nov 19 03:10:22 UTC 2008

> I have successfully used Plone Unified Installer to test Plone 3.0 to Plone
> 3.1.5 but the sysadmin doesn't like this installer because it installs its
> own python.

If your sysadmin wants to make sure that Python 2.4.x (ideally 2.4.5),
along with its development headers, is available, you may use the
Unified Installer with its --with-python=... flag to use the existing
Python. The installer will use virtualenv to make sure that the system
libraries aren't changed.

> - Not all servers where you need to grab stuff from are stable or mirrored;
> if a distant server goes down, your buildout may not work. If someone moves
> or removes something you depended on, you may be unable to run your buildout
> at all.

This is annoying when it happens, but not much of a problem for
production use, since you only use online resources when your adding
or updating functionality. And, it's not really a problem to clean it
up if buildout fails. zc.buildout is by far the best configuration
management scheme we have for integrators.

Steve