[Setup] Re: Which installer for Plone

Dale DeWitt dewittdale at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 01:49:07 UTC 2008

"Not all servers where you need to grab stuff from are stable or
mirrored; if a distant server goes down, your buildout may not work.
If someone moves or removes something you depended on, you may be
unable to run your buildout at all."  https://weblion.psu.edu/trac/weblion/wiki/BuildOut

I too read that a long time ago.  Yes, that is a potentiality, but
those are the outer fringes.  The main thrust of development in plone
is geared this way.  I immediately discounted that weblion caveat when
first read.

Stick with buildout and don't worry about a separate python
installation (unless you've been issued a no can do).  The real reason
is the concurrent borrowing from other applications, not merely
because some distros may not have it (the correct version) installed.
(41 MB footprint)

Of course everyone frowns on using the package version of plone.  I
would heed the majority on that point.

So the installer is probably your easiest approach.  Then master
buildout in all its mysterious ways (semi-manual/full fetch etc).
You'll thank yourself.  As well as all those smart programmers.