[Setup] Which installer for Plone

francoise fcodvpt at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 17:40:58 UTC 2008

Hello,

My server is running a Debian distribution and I try to install Zope/Plone
on Lenny with the system adminstrator.

I am lost because there are 3 (at least) ways of installing Zope/Plone :

1) Install Debian packages (the solution preferred by the sysadmin)

aptitude install plone3_site

2) Create a plone3_buildout and install it with zc.buildout

3) Using Plone Unified Installer which generates a different buildout and
uses zc.buildout also

I have successfully used Plone Unified Installer to test Plone 3.0 to Plone
3.1.5 but the sysadmin doesn't like this installer because it installs its
own python.

I saw on the faq that "Plone's "Unified Installer" installation script
compiles its own copy of Python, because many systems do not include an
appropriate version"
(http://plone.org/documentation/faq/faqsection_view?section=Installing%20Plone)

I have noted the advantages of buildout as exposed by Martin Aspeli :
  http://plone.org/documentation/tutorial/buildout/introduction

But I found frightening drawbacks on weblion site :
- Not all servers where you need to grab stuff from are stable or mirrored;
if a distant server goes down, your buildout may not work. If someone moves
or removes something you depended on, you may be unable to run your buildout
at all.
- When your buildout doesn't completely succeed, you are (sometimes?) left
with a broken environment.
(https://weblion.psu.edu/trac/weblion/wiki/BuildOut)

What are your experience, your feeling about those different kind of
installation (obsolete, unstable, essential ...)

Thanks for your advice