[Setup] Transfer from old machine conundrum

southof40 ploneforums at richardshea.fastmail.fm
Tue Nov 18 10:19:10 UTC 2008

Machine A has Plone 3.0.4/Python 2.4.4 on Windows XP. Machine B has no Plone
installation and both Python 2.5.2 and Python 2.4.3 on Windows 2003.

I want to move the Plone installation from A to B. I understand that both
Plone and Python need to be in synch to do this.

I can't upgrade the Python 2.4.4 on machine A (other non-Plone
dependencies); I can't downgrade the Python 2.5.2 on machine B.

Would the following work ?

1. Install Python 2.5.2 on Machine A (along side existing 2.4.4).
2. Somehow (don't know how) persuade Machine A Plone to start using the
2.5.2 ?
3. Upgrade Plone on Machine A to 3.1.7
4. Install Plone 3.1.7 on Machine B.
5. Transfer plone content from A to B

Can anyone tell me if the (don't know how) bit is possible ?

If (don't know how) is impossible can anyone suggest another means to help
me with this because I'm pretty stuck !