[Setup] Windows: from old-style installer to Buildout installer

Alberto Lopes alberto at alopes.com
Sat Nov 15 00:37:53 UTC 2008

Dear friends,

I am running a 3.1.2 Windows2K  Plone install.

I've installed Plone using the old non-buildout installer. I've installed
some egg products using easy_install, some old-style by copying them to the
Products folder.

I have also installed a python lib with easy-install, but had to download
manually the egg (it is python-ldap, which gives me some compiling error if
I try to easyinstall it directly, so I had to download the binary and then
easy_install the downloaded egg).

Finally, I have created a ZEO and other Zope instances. So, my instances
homes are:
D:\Plone-3.1.2\Data
D:\Plone-3.1.2\Data2
D:\Plone-3.1.2\Data3
D:\Plone-3.1.2\Data4
D:\Plone-3.1.2\Zeo

Now I am thinking about going to the buildout based installer.

What would be the best strategy for me to do that?

Also, I couldn't find a tutorial or something for that... If it doesn't
exists, I'd really like to contribute to write it... How could I do that?

Thank you all.

Alberto