[Setup] Using Lotus Notes instead of SMTP

albieback alberto at alopes.com
Mon May 26 03:56:50 UTC 2008

Dear friends,

Because of security policies within the organization I work with, we can't
use SMTP protocol. We use Lotus Notes for e-mail, so I ask you this: do you
think I could use the Notes client to send e-mails for the Plone site
instead of SMTP?

I have two strategies I'd like to know if they are feasible in Plone:

1 - Change the "mail class" within Zope (supposing that feature is highly
coesive within Zope/Plone) to, instead of connecting to SMTP server and
whatever, just accessing a Notes Client DLL for sending e-mail. Questions
that remain: is it that simple to change mail functionality in Zope/Plone?
And can Python call Windows DLLs?

2 - Same as before, but instead I would create a Notes Java agent to send
e-mail.

Regards,

Albie