[Setup] Re: completely locked out

Gary Koskenmaki garyk at skilltran.net
Thu Mar 27 21:37:46 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 20:18 +0000, Martin Aspeli wrote:
> Gary Koskenmaki wrote:
>
> > Yeah, but nothing recent enough to save all the documentation I've
> > written lately.  That's all I cared about saving as the site itself is a
> > lab for learning Plone and Zope.
>
> You may have to take this as a bit of a lesson - don't do crazy things
> to your site without having backups first. I know that's not what you
> want to hear.
>
> Now, the data is definitely recoverable. You could write tools to access
> the ZODB directly and export it, for example, using the Python API. I'm
> sure there's a way to get the login functionality back too.
> Unfortunately, I can't help you any more without actually being at the
> machine and poking around. You may want to consider hiring someone to do
> that for you.
>
> Martin

        Thanks, Martin.

        I figured I was probably up a creek without a paddle.  And, yeah
        I know better than to not have a backup, I just didn't realize
        that the tool could break the site until after it had done so as
        I'd never heard of a spider breaking a site before.  Oh, well,
        live and learn.  I'm in the middle of a steep learning curve in
        several areas, and it shows.... ;)