[Setup] Plone-2.5.3 to Plone-3.0.6 migration issues

ricardd at mathstat.dal.ca ricardd at mathstat.dal.ca
Mon Mar 24 16:19:13 UTC 2008

Hello,
Please bear with my slightly convoluted help request.

I have a bunch of Plone sites running on Plone-2.5.3 on a CentOS machine.
When I decided to upgrade the said sites to Plone-3.0.6 I also wanted to
make sure that each site would have its own Data.SITENAME.fs file. So I
edited the config files (zeo.conf and zope.conf), and created a ZODB mount
point for each site in the ZMI. Now each Data.SITENAME.fs file is
associated with a separate folder in the root directory of the ZMI. I can
then add a Plone site to each directory and have a separate
Data.SITENAME.fs file for each. This is what I added to zeo.conf:

<filestorage 1>
  path $INSTANCE/var/Data.fs
</filestorage>

<filestorage 2>
  path $INSTANCE/var/Data.SITENAME1.fs
</filestorage>

and this is what I added to zope.conf:

<zodb_db main>
    # Main FileStorage database
  <zeoclient>
    server 7534
    storage 1
    name zeostorage
    var $INSTANCE/var

  </zeoclient>
    mount-point /
</zodb_db>

<zodb_db SITENAME1mount>
  <zeoclient>
    server 7534
    storage 2
    name SITENAME1
    var $INSTANCE/var

  </zeoclient>
    mount-point /SITENAME1mount
</zodb_db>

Now I am unclear about how to proceed with the migration of my sites. In
the Plone-2.5.3 instance, all sites share a single Data.fs file, but I
want to migrate them one-by-one to the Plone-3.0.6 instance.

I tried removing all but one site in the Plone-2.5.3 instance, shutdown
the 2.5.3 instance, copy and rename the Data.fs file to Plone-3.0.6 and
start the 3.0.6 instance. However, when I go to the ZMI for the 3.0.6
instance, the ZODB mount point still shows up fine, but it is empty (there
is no Plone site in it).

Am I doing something completely wrong here?

Thanks in advance for the help and pointers.

Daniel Ricard
Halifax, NS, Canada