[Setup] Re: difference between 'buildout' and the XP Installer

Dale DeWitt dewittdale at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 22:35:59 UTC 2008

Very unfriendly list-server forum system this time.  I try to
methodically post and then it's like it turns into an out-of-control
program never to post.  It's happened twice before (it's my fault,
yeah, sure).  The video level of explanation is development oriented
but you asked for the truth and that's where buildout shines.  You
don't need to write microprocessor instructions via python to
understand how to use buildout for maintaining your site.  virtualenv
can be used if you need to isolate from other python versions and or
libraries.  "but is probably not necessary for a local prototype on a
system where no other versions of Python or Zope are being used."  I
suppose I don't know what you really mean by "prototype."  Non-
production is the most common initial goal.  Even there one sets one's
standards as high as possible since it's desirable to seamlessly go
live.  That said, if your afraid of tackling a windows buildout plone
site, then just wait for that installer to be advertised on the
plone.org download page.  Or you could do as I do and keep a few linux
systems on the windows machines using virtualbox.  Or windows on linux
as appropriate.