[Setup] Installing Plone on Windows XP

LKB lori.brown at ertcorp.com
Wed Jun 4 21:40:06 UTC 2008

deesto wrote:

> LKB wrote:
>>
>> When I tried adding /plone to the URL, I got a browser containing the
>> following cryptic text:
>>
>> <Products.Five.metaclass.Plone object at 0x06022F70>
>>
> This sounds like a bad installation.  Can you please check your Zope/Plone
> logs and post any errors that happen to occur simultaneously with this
> message?

And I would find these logs WHERE exactly? Are there both Zope and Plone
logs?

> I am getting close to writing this product off, particularly given the
> vaporware nature of the documentation. There is a lot of documentation,
> but very little of the very basic, very specific, "here is how to set this
> up and get started from the most basic level" type information.

Calling the documentation "vaporware" and then claiming "There is a lot of
documentation" is a bit of an oxymoron.

 very little of the very basic, very specific, "here is how to set this up
and get started from the most basic level" type information

Um, read for meaning. Not an oxymoron at all. I can't figure out:

1) Specific and precise installation instructions for the windows XP
installer.
2) Where to find log files
3) If it matters WHAT LOCATION i install the product in
4) How to view my local installation, and how to tell what is wrong with it
if it's not running properly.

If anything, there may be *too much* documentation, which (I believe) is one
of the things that Plone's documentation team (which are all volunteers, by
the way; this is open-source) is working to clean up and streamline.

That said, is there something missing from this section of the
documentation:
http://plone.org/documentation/phc_topic_area?topic=Basic+Use

If so, letting people know what you think is missing would be a good start
toward fixing the problem.

See above!

Also, is there an 'uninstaller', or a recommended method for uninstalling
and re-installing the Windows XP kit?

I think I've been quite specific.