[Setup] Buildout file permissions wrong?

Steve McMahon steve at dcn.org
Thu Jul 31 16:27:27 UTC 2008

The Unified Installer's script early on sets "umask 022" -- then it changes
individual and directory permissions where that's not good enough.

That's why I asked about the permissions for /opt. Unless they were too
narrow, the results of the Unified Installer should be ready to use.

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 1:27 AM, JimL <jim.leek at eng.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> that's exactly my worry, that now my permissions are too open.
>
> I guess my original question was, having run my buildout (I did not use the
> unified installer, but instead followed Martin's tutorial at
> http://plone.org/documentation/tutorial/buildout), the permissions created
> in my "Plone" folder were not correct.
>
> I'm assuming this is probably a umask issue, i.e. my umask as root was too
> restrictive when I ran my buildout. However, I was wondering what umask I
> should be using when running a buildout.
>
> Cheers,  Jim
>

> Steve McMahon wrote:
> >
> > Hi Jim,
> >
> > I've checked the Unified Installer's install.sh, and it does set the
> umask
> > correctly. Is there any chance that your /opt isn't world-readable?
> >
> > By the way, I hadn't noticed the "-R" flag in your chmod. That is going
> > result in permissions that are too loose, and would allow anyone with
> > shell
> > access to read the initial password and the database.
> >
> > Steve

Steve McMahon
Reid-McMahon, LLC
steve at reidmcmahon.com