[Setup] "AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'title'" after migrating 2.5.3 to 3.1.2, news items disappeared

Kevin Harvey kevin.harvey at vanderbilt.edu
Wed Jul 16 13:15:16 UTC 2008

I'm almost there! In migrating, I uninstalled all my third-party products,
exported the Plone site from the 2.5.3 instance, imported into a 3.1.2
instance, ran the migration utilities, and it started up fine except for a
few weird things:

- the "News" portlet isn't showing up (even though I explicitly told it to
display at the Home page)
- the "News" tab has no news items in it (even though News items exist)
- the "Events" tab has no events in it (even though Events exist)

Thinking that I had a problem with my Types definitions, I went to Site
Setup -> Types. I got the following error message:

AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'title'

Here's the traceback:

Traceback (innermost last):
  Module plone.app.controlpanel.types, line 148, in __call__
  Module Shared.DC.Scripts.Bindings, line 350, in _bindAndExec
  Module Products.PageTemplates.PageTemplateFile, line 129, in _exec
  Module Products.PageTemplates.PageTemplate, line 89, in pt_render
  Module zope.pagetemplate.pagetemplate, line 117, in pt_render
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 271, in __call__
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 346, in interpret
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 891, in do_useMacro
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 346, in interpret
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 536, in do_optTag_tal
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 521, in do_optTag
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 516, in no_tag
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 346, in interpret
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 891, in do_useMacro
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 346, in interpret
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 536, in do_optTag_tal
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 521, in do_optTag
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 516, in no_tag
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 346, in interpret
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 949, in do_defineSlot
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 346, in interpret
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 536, in do_optTag_tal
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 521, in do_optTag
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 516, in no_tag
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 346, in interpret
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 957, in do_defineSlot
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 346, in interpret
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 536, in do_optTag_tal
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 521, in do_optTag
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 516, in no_tag
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 346, in interpret
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 891, in do_useMacro
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 346, in interpret
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 957, in do_defineSlot
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 346, in interpret
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 536, in do_optTag_tal
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 521, in do_optTag
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 516, in no_tag
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 346, in interpret
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 534, in do_optTag_tal
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 516, in no_tag
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 346, in interpret
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 949, in do_defineSlot
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 346, in interpret
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 536, in do_optTag_tal
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 521, in do_optTag
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 516, in no_tag
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 346, in interpret
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 949, in do_defineSlot
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 346, in interpret
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 586, in do_setLocal_tal
  Module zope.tales.tales, line 696, in evaluate
   - Line 124, Column 12
   - Expression: <PathExpr standard:'view/current_workflow'>
   - Names:
      {'container': <PloneSite at /fogartyscholars>,
       'context': <PloneSite at /fogartyscholars>,
       'default': ,
       'here': <PloneSite at /fogartyscholars>,
       'loop': {},
       'nothing': None,
       'options': {'args': ()},
       'repeat': <Products.PageTemplates.Expressions.SafeMapping object at
0x065D9C60>,
       'request': <HTTPRequest,
URL=http://localhost:8081/fogartyscholars/@@types-controlpanel>,
       'root': <Application at >,
       'template': <ImplicitAcquirerWrapper object at 0x06623050>,
       'traverse_subpath': [],
       'user': <PloneUser 'kharvey'>,
       'view': <Products.Five.metaclass.TypesControlPanel object at
0x0696FF30>,
       'views': <zope.app.pagetemplate.viewpagetemplatefile.ViewMapper
object at 0x0696FC90>}
  Module zope.tales.expressions, line 217, in __call__
  Module Products.PageTemplates.Expressions, line 161, in _eval
  Module Products.PageTemplates.Expressions, line 123, in render
  Module plone.memoize.instance, line 45, in memogetter
  Module plone.app.controlpanel.types, line 201, in current_workflow
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'title'

I'm running:
    * CMF: 2.1.1
    * Debug mode: No
    * PIL: 1.1.6
    * Platform: win32
    * Plone File System: 3.1.2
    * Plone Instance: 3.1.2
    * Python: 2.4.4 (#71, Oct 18 2006, 08:34:43) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)]
    * Zope: (Zope 2.10.6-final, python 2.4.4, win32)

I'm hoping that whatever caused this will also explain why my News folder is
empty.

I've tried both Updating the Catalog and Clearing and Rebuilding the Catalog
in the ZMI to no avail. Thanks in advance for your help.

Kevin
--
View this message in context: http://n2.nabble.com/%22AttributeError%3A-%27NoneType%27-object-has-no-attribute-%27title%27%22-after-migrating-2.5.3-to-3.1.2%2C-news-items-disappeared-tp530808p530808.html